Thought I’d just share this quick whipped up recipe for a take on spaghetti carbonara using items you may have left in your cupboards/fridges. A really simple and quick recipe taking about 15-20 mins.
What I found that I wanted to use for this was:
- Linguine pasta
- 2 eggs
- Pack of un-smoked bacon
- 2 x Sausages (needed to use them up)
- Garlic or garlic powder
- Sea salt
- Ground peppercorns
- Olive oil
I don’t like cheese but if you have some add it too!
1) Start by boiling your pasta.
2) Cut your bacon and sausages into small pieces.
3) Heat a small amount of olive oil in a pan and add a lot of garlic/garlic powder, salt and pepper.
4) Add the cut up sausages and bacon to the pan and cook through stirring occasionally.
5) Ensure pasta is cooked and drain suitably.
6) Crack two eggs into a jar and stir with a fork.
7) Add the pasta into the on with the bacon and sausages and also add the spinach. Lower the heat. Stir until ingredients are evenly spread.
8) Add the egg into the pan sporadically whilst stirring.
9) Add in extra garlic and pepper and keep mixing in the until the egg has cooked.
10) Serve into a bowl add sprinkle a few raw spinach leaves on top.
A day off means I got to do breakfast properly!
2 pancakes with strawberries and a banana. Combo of natural and not so natural sugars helping me keep full until lunch time with my sweet tooth kept well and truly sweet (a way to help me get amd keep my cravings under control).
My new fave 1st meal of the day and one that I am going to try and make time for before work….or I could take it to work…
Breakfast – the most important meal of the day. It’s the one I most struggle with. I’m one of those people who would prefer an extra 15 minutes in bed than get up and make a good breakfast and sit and eat it. So previously I’ve just grabbed something out of the cupboard and eaten it at work.
Now, however, I have found something thats quick to make (either at home or at work) and doesn’t require me to sit down and eat it like a Full English.
Here’s how to make it…
Tablespoon of Hemp seeds.Add half a cup of chocolate soya milk. Top it up with hazelnut milk and give it a stir. Cover with a layer of flax seeds. ‘Decorate’ with strawberries.
Voila! A seedy, chocolatey, nutty and fruity breakfast. It is much more filling than you may believe. Try it and see what you think!
I don’t know about you but it’s nearly June and I am -100000 steps where I wanted to be at this point in the year. Forget summer body ready, hell I am winter body ready…again. So, here I am again writing yet another blog post on ‘it’s been a while but I am back’. Only this time, I have no excuses not to be officially back.
I recieved an email this morning from WordPress saying that today is my 4 year anniversary with them. Looking back, I have achieved a lot and so little at the same time. The first year blogging on here I lost around 4 stone. A year later, I started university and managed to put on half of what I lost over those three years. You could literally use my chins as a hiding place in hide and seek. Today not only marks 4 years on here but also my first day of freedom from univeristy. IT IS OVER! I start my new job in a month and have June to do whatever I want – cheaply. This means that I have the next month to get my body and my brain back into gear and overcome the barrier of starting again.
Not only has my weight increased drastically but I have found that my mental health is starting to become effected aswell. My anxiety levels are through the roof. I don’t want to see family members or friends that I haven’t seen in a while as I know they’ll comment on my weight gain. I feel hatred towards myself for allowing it to happen. All very unhealthy stuff and I do not want it to spiral any further. I have a lot of social events coming up in June and over the summer, all of which I am excited for but also dreading so I really need to stop whining and feeling sorry for myself and actually do something about it.
Today, I took my verys first step – I went for a run. It was only two miles but it was a run. I haven’t been for one in a couple of weeks what with placement and exams (usual excuses). It felt like absolute hell I am not going to lie. 2 miles? More like sodding 10. My shins felt like snapping, my ankles felt like they were going to pop, my back felt like it was going to break, everytime I swallowed my saliva it felt like I was suffocating, my head felt like it was a tonne. I got home and needed a good amount of time sprawled across the garden floor trying my best to gain my breathe back and not to vom. Recovered, I felt a sense of hope. I did in no ways feel good, just glad that the very very first step was now over. I have booked another half marathon in October which I hope will push me to continue with my running along with maintaining some what of a healthy diet as I do not want to injure my knees like last year.
I’m not going to promise to do x amount of runs a week or two stick to a certain diet or even to write a blog post daily/weekly. All I am going to do is to try to stick with it.
So, here are to new beginnings no matter how many you may have. Be proud to keep having to start over – at least we haven’t completely given up just yet.
Here are 5 tips for trying to curb that horrible sick feeling when you’re trying to cut down your food intake.
- EAT! If you’re that hungry that you feel sick- eat. However, don’t stuff your face with whatever you find in the fridge or cupboard, instead make the sensible choice of fruit, nuts, veg or meat. Or if your next meal isn’t for a while, have a small meal now and then again later.
- Drink water. A big glass of cold water will fill you up no end and keep you going until your next meal.
- Brush your teeth and tongue. The minty taste will satisfy your body for a while.
- Chew sugar free gum if you are out and can’t brush your teeth. I do this all the time and has helped me stop snacking throughout the day when at work or uni.
- Keep yourself busy. If you feeling nauseous because you’re hungry and can’t do my if the above or want to… start a task and don’t stop until you’re finished. Keeping occupied will take your mind off of feeling hungry.
Does anyone else have any other tips they use to curb the sicky hunger feeling? Post in the comments!
The other day, a team member in a Facebook group that I am in posted a video of 2 ingredient pancakes. They looked amazing and so I thought I’d try them out.
- Cut up the banana and mush it up.
- Add the 2 eggs and whisk.
- Heat up a pan and add the mixture.
- Flip pancake over as you would normally.
- Once golden brown and not slightly burnt like mine – serve. Add almond butter or peanut butter (I tried it with crunch peanut butter).
Voila. Easy pancakes. Unfortunately, I did not like them. Maybe that was just me or maybe I messed up the easiest recipe in the world (please excuse my poor visual presentation). You, however, may like them!
Try it out and let me know what you guys think!
So it’s Blue Monday. The most depressing day of the year and we are only 16 days into it! Although the weather is grim, I see no reason to be depressed, today I’m feeling quite optimistic despite it being day 1 of my exam week.
Honestly, in the past week the only proper exercise I have done is one run. I went to do 3 miles but my chest (which is still no better) just wouldn’t play and so I had to finish at 2.5 miles. I decided not to do any more to give my chest time to try and recouperate which I think has helped. I feel less congested today and ready for the week ahead.
In terms of eating, I’ve done very well. I’ve not smacked on crap throughout the week and had Saturday as a ‘cheat’ day in which I had champagne and cupcakes at a baby shower I attended in the evening.
Weekly weigh in – I am down an extra 3ibs from last week. Totalling to 5ibs so far. This is great, however, I am looking forward to when I can start seeing the effect.
With this week being exam week, I am going to be 100x more stressed than I am usually and (as most of you know) I am a major emotional eater. Therefore, focus is my main goal this week. I want to remain focused on my eating and not feed my emotions crap, otherwise I will end up feeling even crapper. After all, you are what you eat.
Have a great week everyone! Stay focussed!